There are hundreds of events each month in the city of Tucson and sometimes things get lost in all the chatter. If you have an interest in variety entertainment, meaning something other than the usual things everyone goes to, then this list will likely strike your fancy. It should be noted that some of these events are already sold out, but I want you to be aware that these things are happening. Many of these events do not get enough attention because people do not know about them or do not know where to look for them.
- Thursday, February 1 there will be Piano with Sam at the Dusty Monk Pub. This bar is a nice little gem hidden away in downtown Tucson. If you have not been, you need to check this place out. The show starts at 9pm with Sam Golden.
- Friday, February 2 is the usual burlesque at the Surly Wench Pub every first Friday of the month. This month’s show features live music from the Furys. Doors open at 9pm and the show starts at 10pm. VIP tickets are $20 and general tickets are $10.
- Thursday, February 8 will be the first ever Drunk Drag Queen Storytellers at the Welcome Diner. The show is at 10pm and the rumor is it’s definitely sold out but I’m certain they will have more shows like this in the future.
- Saturday, February 10 offers many events as all Saturday nights do. Illusions with Michael Howell starts at 7pm at the Arizona Rose Theater located in the Tucson Mall. Tickets are $10. Farther south, Elias Caress, a magician from Utah, will perform for the Vail Performing Arts. The show starts at 7pm and tickets are $10. Don’t Blink Burlesque will have their monthly show at the Hut. Doors open at 8pm and the show starts at 9pm. VIP tickets are $20 and general tickets are $10.
- Sunday, February 11 offers more comedy then Tucson knows what to do with. The Brew HaHa Showcase starts at Borderlands Brewery at 8pm featuring Ryan Malco. Tickets for Brew HaHa are usually $10 but no ticket information was mentioned with this event. Then at 9pm at The Flycatcher, we have the C*nts Being C*nts Talking About C*nts Comedy Show! Join this female cast talking about…well…C*nts. There will be comedy, music, and poetry.
- Monday, February 12 removes the usual comedy open mic at the Surly Wench Pub for one night only and features a free comedy showcase. It’s another great show featuring female comedians for the fun Valentine’s week. Support all your favorite female comedians on Sunday and Monday.
- Wednesday, February 14 will likely have too many events to keep up with; however, I will be attending the Sweethearts Burlesque at The Still, Tucson’s local speakeasy, featuring Don’t Blink Burlesque. VIP tickets are $20 and general tickets are $10. Follow the link to learn how to purchase tickets.
- Sunday, February 18 will host Tucson’s first Lip Sync Battle to benefit the Colby Olsen Foundation. The show starts at 5pm at IBT’s Bar & Food. The show is free but donations for the foundation will be accepted. This benefits a great cause and Colby Olsen was a friend of mine so I’m telling you to check out this show!
- Monday, February 26 brings Brew HaHa back to Borderlands for another 8pm show and tickets are $10. This show will feature Jono Zalay as well as many local comedians.
There are likely many more events that I do not even know about, but this is an excellent starting point for those of you looking for something different than seeing a live band or a traditional theatrical play. If you know about a show that was not mentioned but think should be included in this list, please fill out our contact form. If you know about events coming up in future months, please do not hesitate to send the information our way. VaudVil will continue striving to be Tucson’s source for variety entertainment.